Physical therapy can help treat pelvic floor dysfunction by increasing strength and flexibility in the pelvic floor muscles. PT can improve posture and stability in the pelvis and reduce pain (in your back as well).
A physical therapist may also recommend lifestyle changes to help relieve your symptoms and prevent future problems. Examples include changing how you sit, stand or perform certain activities wherever you go. Your therapist may also suggest that you avoid certain activities until your symptoms improve.
On the other hand, your physical therapist may give you specific things to do at home to add to your pelvic floor recovery. Doing as your physical therapist suggests is essential for a timely recuperation!
Pelvic floor physical therapy tips for doing at home
When you go to a physical therapist for your pelvic floor issue, they may give you some tips that you can do at home. Though you may work one-on-one with a physical therapist, doing some “homework” can be additionally helpful. Here are four tips to be mindful of:
- Avoid straining during bowel movements — Straining causes an increase in intra-abdominal pressure that can aggravate pelvic floor muscle weakness and increase pain.
- Reduce stress on your pelvic floor — Try to avoid heavy lifting and standing for long periods. Putting pressure on the pelvic floor muscles may slow down the recovery process.
- Maintain a healthy weight — Excess weight puts extra strain on the pelvic floor muscles, leading to weakness and possibly trouble with bowel or bladder control. Losing weight may help strengthen pelvic floor muscles.
- Do some squatting exercises — If it’s comfortable for you, squatting can be a gentle exercise that helps gently stretch and open up the pelvis, especially if you’re having pain in your pubic area or tailbone area. Try doing this while holding on to something stable (like a chair) as needed for balance.
SOL Physical Therapy can help you with pelvic pain with an at-home routine
Do you experience lingering pain in your pelvic floor area? At SOL PT, we are committed to providing you with top-notch therapeutic virtual care while providing you with a customized physical therapy routine at home. During your physical therapy session, our physical therapists can diagnose the source of your pain. Moreover, we can build individualized therapy programs for each patient. Among our benefits are:
- Decreased pain.
- Improved mobility.
- Increased ability to do normal daily activities.
You’ll also be able to get effective therapy from home if you sign up for a virtual therapy session with one of our therapists.
Contact our team today for more information or to schedule an initial appointment.