There are many medical professionals who can help you learn how to stop your tension headaches, but physical therapists offer several advantages over other medical professionals.
Unfortunately, you’re all too likely to deal with a tension headache. In fact, it’s estimated that 40% of the global population has an active tension headache at any given time. Working with a physical therapist can help you figure out how to stop your tension headaches, and this is possible thanks to several general steps a physical therapist can take.
How physical therapists help you learn how to stop your tension headaches
The process for learning how to stop tension headaches is slightly different for each patient. But there are certain steps that a physical therapist can take to help you meet this goal, including:
- Education — An understanding of what a tension headache is and what causes them is helpful for stopping these headaches. That’s why physical therapists will provide you with some basic information about your headaches.
- Identifying underlying causes — At times, issues that have nothing to do with the neck or head can lead to tension headaches. Some underlying issues that can trigger a tension headache are:
Your therapist can help you by identifying any underlying issues that are causing tension headaches. They can then show you how to address these issues.
- Offering self-care tips — If you feel a tension headache building, something as simple as stretching your neck and shoulder can head it off. Physical therapists can show you specific therapeutic exercises that can stretch the neck and shoulders. In addition, they can create a stretching program that you can use anytime you feel a headache coming on.
How physical therapists can treat your tension headaches in-clinic
You may not always be able to stop tension headaches with self-care. If you can’t, you can visit a physical therapy clinic to address your headaches. A few techniques that specialists can use to treat tension headaches include:
- Graston Technique® sessions where special tools are used to break down scar tissue that’s restricting movement in your neck, shoulders and upper back.
- Active Release Techniques® designed to ease tension in neck soft tissue that’s driving or triggering a tension headache.
- Postural training intended to help improve your head and neck posture.
Learn how to stop tension headaches with help from SOL PT
Ready to learn how to stop your tension headaches? At SOL Physical Therapy, our team is ready to help you address a current tension headache and prevent future ones, too. We’ll start by evaluating you to identify the direct cause and underlying issues behind your headaches. Then, our physical therapists will create an individualized therapy plan intended to reduce your pain and reduce your headache frequency. You can even stay at home and still get our help thanks to the virtual therapy services we offer.
Contact our team today for more information about our headache treatment options or to schedule an initial appointment.