A burning pain in your shoulder can definitely make your life difficult. You might have difficulty grabbing a cereal box from a cabinet. Getting dressed could become a gauntlet of pain. Fortunately, there are steps that physical therapists can take to help with your shoulder pain.
Understanding what a physical therapist can do for your shoulder symptoms isn’t useless knowledge. The reality is that you’re likely to develop shoulder pain at some point; medical researchers report that nearly 47% of people experience shoulder pain every year. A person who is experiencing burning pain in their shoulder can get three specific types of help from a physical therapist.
Three ways physical therapists can assist with your burning shoulder pain
There are three key ways that physical therapy specialists can help people who have a burning pain in the shoulder, including:
- Diagnosing the cause — Understanding the cause of your pain is vital to treating it effectively. Physical therapists are trained to treat issues with the human musculoskeletal system, including issues that lead to shoulder pain. This knowledge allows them to diagnose the specific problem that’s causing your pain.
- Treating your pain — Physical therapists also have many techniques at their disposal that can treat pain. They can build you a custom therapy plan that combines specific techniques. This plan will be designed to reduce your pain as much as possible. A few techniques your plan may include are:
- Active Release Techniques® that can help break up scar tissue that’s restricting the movement of soft tissue in your shoulder.
- Functional rehabilitation designed to help you get back to doing your normal daily tasks.
- Graston Technique® sessions that can help reduce knots of tension in soft tissue and decrease pain.
- Preventing future issues — Your physical therapist will also make prevention of future shoulder issues a priority. For instance, they may show you therapeutic exercises that you can do to continue strengthening and stretching your shoulder. Your therapist might also work with you to adjust your posture. Also, they can show you how to perform shoulder-related movements more safely.
Find help with your burning shoulder pain at SOL Physical Therapy
Ready to get effective physical therapy for your burning shoulder pain? Our specialists at SOL PT are primed to help you get the top-notch care you need. We’ll comprehensively evaluate your shoulder to determine the source of your pain. Then, our therapy experts will construct a therapy plan that’s individualized to your needs and designed to offer benefits like:
- Reducing pain.
- Improving joint mobility.
- Increasing your ability to perform normal daily activities.
- Decreasing your risk of a future shoulder problem.
You can even work with our physical therapists from home if you sign up for a virtual therapy session with our team.
Contact our team today for more information about our shoulder pain treatment services or to schedule an initial appointment.