The neck plays an irreplaceable role in our daily lives. It supports our head and provides a wide range of motion that enables us to look in multiple directions. It’s difficult to do much when you have long-lasting pain and stiffness affecting your neck. In circumstances like this, you should visit a health care professional for treatment.
One type of professional who helps many people reduce and prevent neck pain is a physical therapist. They specialize in treating conditions that affect your muscles, bones, joints, tendons and ligaments. As these parts of your body are almost always the source of neck pain, you should be able to find the treatment you need at a physical therapy clinic.
How physical therapy benefits people with chronic neck pain
Since there are different treatment options available, such as medication or surgery, you may be wondering why someone might choose physical therapy for chronic neck pain. There are a number of benefits of treating neck pain with physical therapy, including:
- Improved strength and range of motion — Physical therapists can guide you through therapeutic exercises and gentle stretches to improve your strength and flexibility. Stronger and more flexible muscles provide a greater range of motion and can help reduce pressure off the spine, which is often the reason people have neck pain.
- No side effects — Relying on medications for neck pain treatment can be an issue because they often cause undesirable side effects and can be addictive. Physical therapy helps reduce your dependency on medication, so you’re not exposed to the side effects of taking them.
- Low risks — Treating neck pain with surgery has a higher risk of infection and other complications. It is also expensive and can require a long and painful time for recovery. By treating your pain with physical therapy, you can improve your condition and lower the chances of needing surgery for treatment.
Visit SOL today for chronic neck pain treatment
Is chronic pain limiting your ability to twist and turn your neck? Our team is here to help. We provide personalized treatment routines to help you manage your condition and reduce your pain. Our treatments include a variety of methods, such as:
- Strength and flexibility exercises
- Hands-on therapy
- Posture guidance
- Patient education and more
Contact our team today for more information about treating chronic neck pain or to schedule an initial appointment.